Saturday, May 12, 2012

I Will NEVER Be Fired

A few months ago, a good friend of mine told me how 49 teaching positions were eliminated from her school district-- And tenure didn't matter. Last week, an entire department was eliminated at my husband's place of work and 135 people will lose their jobs. In this day and age, it seems that NO ONE has any job security. This economy has been morbidly depressing over the past three years (if not longer). The jobs report came out last week and it went from an unemployment rate of 8.2% to 8.1%. Not a big change.

Everytime I get a check working from home, I think of all of the people in the USA that could easily do what I do. No sales, no parties, no investment, no risk. It doesn't make sense to me why people wouldn't want to give this business a shot. Anyone can do it, regardless of education, experience, race, gender and sexual orientation. Everyone has a chance (provided they are at least 18 years old). I just don't get why people complain about not making money or how badly they need money, yet they don't do something so simple to change their circumstances. If you want your circumstances to change, YOU need to change.

On Thursday morning, my four year old son came into my bedroom, curled up next to me and asked, "Is today Charlie/Mommy Day?" I promised Charlie a day with me, but hadn't set up a day to do so. Knowing full well that I could work my business around my boy and my own life, I answered, "It sure is, Charlie. Where do you want to go first?" He was so excited. All he wanted to do was go to Toys R Us and Friendly's for lunch. I took two hours out of my day and spent it with my son. (Grandma watched his twin sister, Catherine.) The point of my story is that my business gives me the flexibility and freedom to do what I feel is important-- Such as spending quality time with my children. I can do Charlie/Mommy Day or Catherine/Mommy Day whenever I want to. I can go on vacation without having to give notice. I don't have to worry about missing work and losing my job. I know that my check will still come next month. No one is going to give me grief for spending time with my family, of fire me for taking a two hour lunch.

On Friday, I was finishing up a phone call with a new team member and I fell. I tripped on the kids' toys and fell right on my side. I knew that I was hurt, but I didn't know how badly. I got off the phone and got some help... And ended up in the hospital shortly thereafter. Sarah - one of the directors on my team - took over the presentation call that I was supposed to do at 4:00 for someone else on our team. I was there for about three hours. (Incidentally, I fractured my ankle, sprained my wrist and strained my ribs.) I came home and did a group presentation (with the support of Sarah) as I was lying on the couch and welcomed four more people to my team. Today, I was literally in bed all day long while my husband took our children to the Children's Museum of the East End. I did a few more presentations for other people and welcomed four more business builders onto my team. From bed. While in my pajamas. No, I am not kidding. In March, a Director III on my team literally did not work one day-- And she still got a check for over $400. What would you get if you didn't work for an entre month? Would you still receive a check? Heck, would you still have a job to return to?

Tomorrow, I will hobble to the Bellport Country Club for lunch with my family. I take Sundays off because I can. Sunday is my day to spend time with my family. I get to choose when I work and when I don't. I know that I'm going to make money this month that is going to pay off a big chunk of my student loans that I still have from George Washington University. It will also pay for a Disney vacation for my family.

And on Monday, I will start helping people changing their lives all over again... Will your life be one of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment